UC Berkeley Essays 2023-2024
Essay 1 – Personal Story
To help admissions get to know you please share something about yourself that may not be evident in other parts of your application. Examples might include information about your family, culture, hobbies, and lived experiences. Please avoid professional topics. (300 word limit)
Essay 2 – Professional Statement
Please summarize your primary area of professional expertise or knowledge. What do you do, and what are you known for? (150 words)
Short Essays in the Online Application:
We invite you to help us better understand the context of your opportunities and achievements.
If you were raised in one of the following household types, please indicate.
Raised by a single parent
Raised by an extended family member (grandparent, aunt/uncle, niece/nephew, cousin)
Raised in a multi-generational home
Raised in foster care
Are you responsible for providing significant and continuing financial or supervisory support for someone else? Please indicate below:
Extended family member (grandparent, aunt/uncle, niece/nephew, cousin)
Please use this opportunity to expand on hardships or unusual life circumstances that may help us understand the context of your opportunities, achievements, and impact.
1. Please provide an account of any gaps in your employment since earning your undergraduate degree. 350 words.
2. Please list the name and title of your current direct supervisor. If you are not providing a letter from this person, please explain. 350 words.
3. If not clearly evident, please discuss ways in which you have demonstrated strong quantitative abilities or plan to strengthen your quantitative abilities. 250 words.
4. If you have ever been subject to academic discipline, placed on probation, suspended, or required to withdraw from any college or university, please explain. (An affirmative response to this question does not disqualify you from admission.) 250 words.
5. Berkeley Haas highly values going Beyond Yourself through involvement in activities designed to benefit the larger community in which you live or work. Please list those activities during or after university studies in which you have made an ongoing commitment and/or made a significant impact. Include the following information for each using the format below. 500 words
• Name of organization or activity
• Nature of organization or activity
• Dates of involvement
• Average number of hours spent per month
• Impact achieved
Please check the online application form for this school to ensure the accuracy of the above questions and word limits.